What is Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® (FDN)?
Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® (FDN) is an evolution in the practice of nutrition that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. It is a unique approach that helps to identify the root causes of illness or imbalance with thorough assessment and diagnostic testing and recommends individually tailored health and wellness therapies to help minimize or eliminate the need for medical treatments.
FDN addresses the whole person rather than just an isolated set of symptoms by looking at a client’s history, environmental and lifestyle factors which can each influence long-term health and chronic disease.
With the ultimate goal of helping the public to be healthier and happier, live longer lives and avoid unnecessary medical treatments, our purpose is to deliver the art of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® (FDN) and integrate functional lab work where required to help you achieve OPTIMUM HEALTH.
The public has been crying out for health care providers to resolve the cause of their health problems instead of just treating the symptoms. Many physicians are hesitant to order extensive lab work for a variety of reasons. However, without proper functional lab work, it is difficult to identify and resolve the most basic health conditions at the causal level.
FDN protocols are potent, proven and professional for maximum effectiveness and are safe as they are all-natural. From initial intake forms through trouble-shooting tough cases, FDN involves considerable CLIENT EDUCATION that clients appreciate. FDN is the fastest route to understanding which tests are most critical and cost-effective, and how to engage clients in their OWN healing process to achieve the health they want.
FDN usually involves a little detective work that includes the client. Through a collaborative, trusting approach, it’s usually possible to get to the root of one’s primary health concerns.
We try to put the client back in the driver’s seat of their own health… so they can decide their own health destiny!
Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® is a healthcare approach that helps to identify underlying causes of illness through individually tailored therapies including diagnostic testing, and recommends natural protocols wherever possible. Following are some common philosophies:
- Everyone is biologically UNIQUE.
Effective protocols should be custom-tailored specifically to meet each client’s unique needs. For example, no two diabetics are alike, nor should they necessarily be recommended the same nutrition or lifestyle plan.
- Minor symptoms are NOT ignored until they become CLINICAL.
Minor – or major – symptoms are your body’s way of talking to you. Our job is to help get to the root cause of these imbalances BEFORE they become clinical.
So-called “minor” imbalances can set the stage for a ripple effect of biological triggers that eventually lead to sub-optimal health or degenerative disease.
- The body is an integrated “whole” vs. a set of parts.
All body systems are “linked”. When you rebalance one body system, you rebalance several others and multiple health complaints subside.
Our job is to bring the entire body back toward its natural state of homeostasis in order to augment its natural mechanisms of healing itself so that it can work itself BACK to optimal health.
Why Do We Need Functional Diagnostic Nutrition®?
- Our traditional health care system is finding it difficult, if not IMPOSSIBLE to financially and logistically keep up to the rapidly rising demand for prescription drugs and costly doctor’s visits.
- Governments can not keep up to the cost of managing the rapidly rising rates of complex chronic disease, especially as our population ages. We need to maximize healthy aging AND reduce the dependence on expensive drugs.
- Our society is experiencing a sharp increase in the number of people who suffer from complex, chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
- Traditional acute-health care models provide a standard of care that treats symptoms rather than the underlying cause of disease. This often results in patients requiring expensive, long term chronic care that includes extensive reliance on prescription medication, testing or surgery. Instead, FDN takes a holistic approach by helping one get well naturally by addressing the root cause as well as diet and lifestyle – BEFORE symptoms become chronic.
- Traditional acute care physicians seldom apply nutritional strategies or assess environmental exposures to toxins that have a direct influence on the rise in chronic disease in modern Western society.
- People are getting sicker, earlier. The traditional health care system does not focus on lifestyle change or the underlying cause of illness.
- People often wait until they get sick – or “clinical” symptoms – before they see a doctor. Instead, FDN helps to identify “red flags” or hidden stressors before illness becomes chronic. This results in a healthier, happier, longer life.
The Functional Diagnostic Nutrition® Approach – Our “Pillars of Health”
Here is what we provide to each of our clients:
- In addition to nutrition, we recommend a broad range of procedures and therapies.
- We freely make referrals to various medical and health professionals as needed.
- Prior to reviewing test results with our clients, we typically consult an impressive team of leading edge functional medical professionals* that are available to us in the FDN network. For complex cases, it is not uncommon for us to consult with multiple professionals prior to recommending plans for our clients. This is to ensure they receive the benefit of multiple opinions if necessary.
- We try to stay abreast of the most current research and developments in functional nutrition and disease prevention. During a consultation, we pass this education on to our clients so they can make informed decisions.
For clients with hormonal, digestive, detoxification, immune or intestinal barrier problems, FDN is an extremely effective approach that we recommend as a first line therapy.
The practice of health care presents the bewildered client with an amazing “marketplace of ideas” offering various approaches to their health problems. As a result, it is important to seek out trustworthy guidance. A good place to start is right here.
Our goal is to restore these pillars of health to normal function and see our clients return to vibrant health and vitality. We want to help you get well and stay well… naturally!
*Many of these medical professionals are part of the FDN® network, practice some form of Functional Medicine or consult to diagnostic laboratories based in the US. They include an impressive array of MD’s, ND’s, OD’s and other health specialists.